Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My almost 2 year old guinea pig, Clair, has developed some

My almost 2 year old guinea pig, Clair, has developed some sort of circular limp under her chin. For the past few months, I have noticed her gaining some weight and I thought, for a while, that she was just getting fat, or maturing. But about a week ago I was cutting her nails and noticed this ball. It definitely does not hurt her, as she is generally jittery but allowed me to touch it. The surrounding skin is soft and malleable and I can kind of move the ball around a bit. Its pretty centered right on her neck, under her chin. It does not protrude from the skin or push the hair in any funny direction. Except right in the middle, kind of like a hair part. Again this seems to cause no pain. She eats drinks sleeps and plays as normal. Her temperament and character hasn't changed at all. I should also add, we got a new baby girl guinea pig in January, as her first companion. When I looked back to pictures from January, Clair does not have this ball thing under her chin. I started researching and found all sorts of answers from abscess to cancer to CL to dewlap. I can tell you I have been noticing the fat in that area and her weight in general, increasing steadily for a few months now. I don't think it's something that is fast developing. But I just wanted some professional advice on what you think this may be. Thank you so much.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years. Thank-you for requesting me. The area you are describing can be one of several issues. Tooth roots that are infected or impacted in the jaw line can cause a lump which wiyld be an infection. We may be looking at an abscess, a fatty tumor called a lympoma or be may be looking at a tumor. The best thing would be to have Clair into a Vet who is familiar with Guinea Pigs, and have them do a fine needle apirate. This is where they pull some cells from the lump and send them out for analysis. This way they know what type of situation they are dealing with. I will give you a link to locate Guinea Pig Vets: It is very important to have this checked out by the Vet. If it is an infection, they will be able to treat it accordingly with the proper medication and treatment to help Clair. Please let me know if you need further help in this issue. Joan

I wanted to add this link about lumps and bumps in Guinea Pigs. I also misspelled Lipoma(fatty tumor): Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help here are two links to pictures of Clair. This can better show you what I was explaining. Does this look normal?

I see the area under the neck area. It is wise that Clair be seen. It is a quite large an area, but I am sure some is her weight, but if you are feeling something like a ball, then definately have her seen. We always are concerned when we see lumps and bumps and err on the side of caution to rule out anything serious. Joan

Hi Alexis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Clair. How is everything going?