Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

How come my Guinea Pig wont let me put a harness on him?

How come my Guinea Pig won't let me put a harness on him?

Dr G. is has not been on recently. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I have worked with Pocket Pets and Exotics in health and behavior. I would like to assist you with Mumford.

Can you please tell me what type of harness you have purchased? is it the rope type rabbit harness? Or is it like a small cat harness?

How many times have you tried to put it on?

Is there a special reason that you want to use the harness on Mumford?

How have you introduced him to the harness?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The type of harness I have purchased is a cloth-like harness made for Guinea Pigs, Rabbits, and Ferrets. I've tried to put it on him about 9 to 10 times. I want a harness on my Guinea Pig so he can walk and I won't have to carry him when I take him out of his cage. I want him to run free a little bit, but still be under my control. I've introduced Mumford to the harness by letting him look at it and sniff it also. He just doesn't like it when I put the harness on him.

Thank-you for the information. The harnesses that are sold for Guinea pigs are very dangerous and should not be used on these small animals. The problem on using the harnesses, no matter whether they are the rope or cloth harnesses are not made for safety. The harnesses that are being sold can actually hurt Mumford, rather than help you control him. The pressure that it puts on the Guinea pig's spine can actually injure the spine and in some cases cause permenent paralysis. You can see this video was made to warn owners about using the various types of harnesses:

The best solution when you take Mumford is to set up a playpen where he can run within its confines and you can monitor him. you can put his toys in with him, but using a harness is very dangerous. The companies that sell these items are not about the health of the animals but actually about finding ways of making money. Guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters and other small pocket pets are considered as disposable pets by pet shops and accessory manufacturers, since most people pay a small price for the animal, but are tricked into buying items for the animal. I am trying to be as honest as possible with you. I know you love Mumford and you would not want him injured in any way, so him refusing to allow you to put the harness on may have saved you some serious Veterinary expenses. I hope that this does help and I will give you a link to see the Play Pen: This will allow him exercise and to be in a safe supervised place. Joan

Hi Alexis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mumford. How is everything going?