Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

my indoor male dutch bunny is about 6 years old and has frequent

my indoor male dutch bunny is about 6 years old and has frequent vet visits lately when his grainy urine gets so thick that the vet has to express his bladder and send him home with IV fluids. I just see him struggle so much to urinate in spurts and then he needs frequent clean ups to keep him from staying wet and grainy underneath. Is there something dietary like an aloevera or something else that could help keep his urine from becoming so sludgy. He gets good quality pellets and timothy hay as his diet with kale, baby lettuces and carrot tops as treats.

Any other suggestions to help him?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

Gen B, the Expert you requested was not online this evening. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a Vet Tech for 30+ years and have special interest in small animals exotics and pocket pets. First let me say Aloe Vera is Toxic to rabbits. It certainly sounds like you are doing everything that needs to be done for bladder sludge. One of the problems that cause the bladder sludge is the amount of intake of calcium in the diet. You need to look over the pellets, as they can be very high in calcium and either lower the amount he is getting or get to the point of eliminating the pellets and start giving more timothy and grass hays. I would discontinue the kale since it is very high in calcium and go to curly endives, collard greens and the carrot tops which are very nutritious, but have a much lower calcium ratio. The calcium is secreted through the kidneys and that is where the sludge starts to build. Dandilion greens, even though they are high in calcium can act as a diuretic to help the urine pass more freely. I would also add some pure fruit juices without sugar like cranberry juice and dilute with water. Pushing extra fluids will help along with exercise. The Cranberry juice can help balance the ph in the urine. I would speak with your Vet about adding a Vitamin C supplement which is also believed to help with urinary tract issues. There is no magic cure or supplement, but diet, fluids and exercise will help. This is a link discussing what I have mentioned above: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sludge.shtml You are doing a great job keeping up with the Vet, expressing the bladder when needed and the IV fluids. Hopefully with eliminating the pellets, limiting the calcium intake through the type of vegetables fed, adding the sugar free fruit juice, a Vitamin C supplement and continuing with the good quality Timothy and grass hays, you can get a good handle on this problem and help Baxter with the Bladder sludge problem. Please let me know if I can further assist you and I will be happy to continue with you. My goal is to offer you and Baxter Excellent Service. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.
Hi Lori,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baxter. How is everything going?

Joan