Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

Hi, A couple of hours ago my dogs botXXXXX XXXXXp quivered a bit

A couple of hours ago my dog's botXXXXX XXXXXp quivered a bit and she was like smacking/clicking her tongue. It was just really odd. I of course started freaking out thinking that she was having a seizure or something. It only lasted a few seconds, and she's been totally normal - eating, running around, being her crazy self. She had a physical at the vet about a week ago and had a complete blood work up done, so i know she's healthy. And she's been licking and scratching a lot lately with allergies and a little bit of acid reflux. Since i just spent $400 on her last visit, I don't want to bring her in if this is no big deal, but wanted to know how I would know if she had a seizure or anything serious.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Generally, a seizure will have significantly more symptoms. For example:
Uncontrollable tremors, often for at least 20 seconds and up to a few minutes.
Most pets will not respond, at all, to you calling their name during a seizure
Some pets will accidentally urinate or defecate during a seizure
Also, very important: Many pets will seem disoriented for several minutes to hours after a seizure. It is called the post-ictal period.

So, this sounds a lot less like a true seizure event. Some dogs can have a petite mal seizure, but still the symptoms are not consistent.

If having some nausea or stomach issues including reflex, here are some suggestions.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

I really like Pepcid A.C. or Prilosec.

Of course, if episodes begin to repeat or are lasting longer, that will be another red flag that a recheck vet visit is warranted.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.