Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My two year old guinea pig hasnt been eating well for a few

My two year old guinea pig hasn't been eating well for a few days now. She also wasn't drinking water at first, but she finally seems to be drinking again. She also isn't particularly interested in treats. She'll eat half a treat and finish it later, but not like her old self at all. She used to eat a full bowl of food a day, and now it looks like she's only eating a few bits a day. Other than that, she is acting completely normal, though. She's still cuddly, running around when I pull her out, etc. I can't afford to take her to the vet right now, but I'm worried about her. I know that guinea pigs need to eat frequently, and that when they stop eating, something is terribly wrong. I ordered some Oxbow Critical Care for her, which arrived today, and I'll try feeding her that. Any ideas on what might be wrong with her or what I should do? Thank you!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with small exotic experience. I would love to assist you with Ella.

Could she have swallowed a non food item, like apiece of a toy?

Is she passing pellets normally?

Is she passing a normal amount of urine?

Does she get any supplements?

Do you feed any fresh veggies?

Does she get freh hay and orchard grass as well as pellets?

What type of bedding do you use?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I gave her a ball made of twigs (the kind sold for guinea pigs in the pet store) last week, and she ate it completely within a couple of days. I knew she was pulling it apart, but thought she was shoving the pieces under her bed. It turns out that she only shoved a few pieces under the bed, and the rest was gone. I've been wondering if that might have made her ill.

She is passing pellets normally, but they are a little pointed on the end, as opposed to the normal rounded pellets.

She is passing, what I feel to be, more urine than normal. I cleaned her cage a couple of days ago, but it seems to be quite wet for being so recently cleaned. But I also changed out her beds, so it might be that she's only peeing in the one area of her cage (the bed area is dry), so it looks like more urine than normal. I'm not quite sure.

She doesn't get any supplements, but I just started giving her some parsley after I was told that it was good for vitamin C. I started giving her this after she stopped eating, though, so that doesn't seem to be the cause of it. Other than that, she doesn't regularly get fresh veggies. She does occasionally, when I have something on hand, but not daily. The more I'm learning about guinea pig needs now that she's sick, I'll start giving her fresh veggies regularly if she pulls through this!

I ran out of hay for a while, so she hasn't had any recently. I finally bought her some more today, but she's been living without it for a while.

She has the recycled paper type bedding. She seems to be allergic to pine chips, and sneezed frequently when I used that for bedding.

Please give me a few mins to read through your information and to post an answer for you. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great- thank you!

Pine and Cedar are toxic to Guinea pigs, so it is wise to use the paper type bedding. Diet and supplements are very important for the heath of a guinea pig. They should have all the fresh hay they can eat. Hay is the fiber that keeps things going in the body. They also need some fresh veggies and fruits to help with vitamin C. Guinea Pigs cannot produce Vitamin C in their bodies so we as owners have to help them. I would go to a good quality hay and a no frills feed. I personally recommend the Oxbow products as they are well balanced and the Guinea Pigs respond well to the diet. You may also want to make sure that the fluid intake is adequate.For now you can offer some diluted Pedialyte to help with fluid intake. This is a link for Oxbow products:

I am also going to give you a link for diets for Guinea pigs that will be a great reference: make sure to ope the links in the article so you can go over all the foods.

I suspect with the lack of fiber, from not getting the hay and grasses, not getting a calcium supplement and the possibility that the twig ball may be causing some gastro intestinal upset.

I would like you to add some fresh hay for Ella to graze on. This will help with the passing of pellets. You can offer her some fresh veggies like: Red or green Pepper seeds removed for Vitamin C, and other veggies from this chart:

As soon as you get the Oxbow Critical Care in please start that in small increments throughout the day. I would also like to see you start Ella on a Pro biotic which helps with the Gut flora and aids with digestion. BeneBac can be gotten at most pet supplies and can be given daily. Hopefully with the proper diet, changes in what she is getting and Probiotics, we can get her back on track. if she does not respond in a couple of days, a Vet visit may be needed. This is a link to locate Guinea Pig Vets:

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be more than happy to continue with you until you feel you have gotten excellent service. Joan

Thank-you for the Excellent Rating

Please note I typed calcium supplement and I meant to type Vitamin C supplement. I will check back on Ella in a few days. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much! Any suggestions on how much to dilute the Pedialyte?

It can be 2 parts Pedialyte to one part water, unless she is not drinking, then use 100% Pedialyte. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, thank you!

You are welcome! Joan