Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My sister has a japanese fighting fish that her precocious

My sister has a japanese fighting fish that her precocious cat managed to get to just enough to where a decent sized gash now exists on the top part of the fish. This happened today, the fish seems to swimming fin and moving about, however, will he die, and can anything be done to help the fish heal? My sister just changed the water in the bowl so it is as clean as can be, and wiped and rinsed out the bowl. Please help!!!!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with 40+ years of Fish keeping.

Can you tell me what size tank the Betta is in?

Is there filtration in the tank?

Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The tank is a round one fish tank, maybe the size of a bowling ball. There is no filtration system in the tank, the fish is alone in the environment with a water plant and pebbles on the bottom of the bowl.
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

There are two ways we can help the Betta. The first is to use a product called Stress Coat. It is a special medication with Aloe Vera we use for injuries in fish: http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=652 This offers a synthetic slime to help aid with healing. The other option that we use is Aquarium salt. Normally in a filtered tank we would use 1 teaspoon full per gallon of water. You would have to remove any live plants before using Aquarium salt. Since it sounds like a small bowl, we would use 1/2 teaspoon of Aquarium Salt only one time in the bowl. The Aquarium Salt is antibacterial, reduces stress, heals by creating a natural slime on the fish, antifungal and antiparasitic. It basically would help heal the injury. The choice would be yours if you wanted to buy the Stress Coat or try the Aquarium Salt. They both should help the Betta heal, providing the injury is not so deep that it affected any of the organs. If the Betta is able to swim and is active, we should be able to aid with the healing. Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to give you Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will ask my sister what she would like to try and then provide you with a rating. Will you accept that? You will be compensated regardless obviously, but so as to provide a axxurate rating for your answer. I think this is an excellent response however so thank you upfront.
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

I have Betta fish at home and use the Aquarium salt as a tonic and I have also used the Stress Coat. They both work well, but it is an individual choice what you want to use. If you do use te salt, mix with water and then add into the tank. I would also keep the water at 80* F for better healing. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish