Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Hi Anna. I have a Hamster who is just over a year old, and

Hi Anna.
I have a Hamster who is just over a year old, and I have noticed in the last month that his balls have increased by almost double, they are also very pink in colour.
He has a very large three floored house, plus I let him run around the living room freely, so excersise is not a problem.
When he runs around for a bit they seem to go down but before he is dragging them on the floor.
Should I be concerned?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years with Pocket Pet Experience. I work with Anna, but she is not on right now. Please let me know if you would like to wait for Anna, or if you need help sooner, I would be happy to assit you. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I would be happy for your advice too.

Anna just came on, so I am going to have her respond to you. Please do not respond and she will be assisting you. Joan

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear that Dexter is having this problem. You've probably noticed that it's normal for male hamsters to have large balls in proportion to their size, but enlargement to the degree you have described is cause for concern.

There are two common causes of such enlargement and the pinkness you described. One is infection. That would need to be treated with safe prescription antibiotics from a vet. The other common cause is testicular cancer. Neutering is the treatment for that. Less common, but still possible, are hormone imbalances. Such imbalances are also usually treated through neutering. I wish I could give you a home remedy for this condition, but unfortunately, this is a situation where there isn't one. Only a vet can make a certain diagnosis and provide proper treatment.

You may be wondering what will happen if you don't see a vet. If it's infection, it will eventually spread and cause system-wide illness. Testicular cancer may spread, but it may remain localized for quite some time. If there's a hormone imbalance, the condition may remain stable for a long time, but if Dexter's balls rub on the ground, they will get sore.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope dexter will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice.

You're very welcome!