Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

I am still concerned that he is not uninated as much as usual.

I am still concerned that he is not uninated as much as usual. I also have been trying for the last few day giving him an antibiotic I received from friend who also has rabbits. I am not sure of the name but is it liquid(yellow) and given 0.25ml Bid. I am a nurse and also have in the past rehab wild animals for the DNR. There are no crystals in his peri area. He is a very tame rabbit and will allow me to do just about any thing with him. Are rabbits ever straight cath or do they ever reguire flushing for blockage. I have the supplies that would work for cathing him but not sure if that is a good idea. He is very old and I do not want him to be in pain. He has brought many smiles to my hospice patients. Thanks
Category: Pet
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hello again,

Sorry the slightly late response, I am in a different time zone to you and I have just come on-line this morning and found your further question.

Well I have dealt with a great many rabbits over the years and have never had to catheterise one although I am sure it would be possible. Other species such as cats have a very narrow urethra so catheterisation is often needed, rabbits on the other hand must have a wider urethra since they seem to be able to pass urine with granular objects in it without too much problem.

As in other species I would only consider passing a catheter if he was having obvious problems or difficulties passing urine. { Complete or partial urethral blockage, this is very rare in rabbits }

On the other hand a week's course of a suitable antibiotic such as Baytril may be a good idea.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hi Paula,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet