Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Last night my hamster broke off one of her bottom incisors

Last night my hamster, Rhyder, broke off one of her bottom incisors at the gumline and there was some blood. A friend mentioned when her hamster broke a tooth, her vet said all that could be done was to feed soft foods to the hamster until the incisor grew back in a week or so. Will this still be true for my hamster if the break was at the gumline? Do I need to take her to my vet in case of infection?

She is an older hamster, at least 3 years old, and has been showing signs of aging for the last month.  But she is still using her wheel, performing personal care, eating.  However, she is becoming more lethargic, breathing more heavily, and taking breaks during activities.

This morning she was eating, drinking, and about her usual activity level as before the accident.

Thanks!

Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years working with all types of small animals.

Hamsters have open ended teeth and they continue to grow constantly. Rhyder should have no problems and within a week to two weeks you should start seeing the tooth above the gum line. You should just keep an eye on it for swelling, but in most cases nothing can be done. You can take a drop of honey and rub it over where the tooth is at the gumline if she will allow you to. Honey is a natural antibiotic and aids with preventing infection. I am sure she will not mind the taste. I would use a good quality pellet soaked in water so she can eat. If she is having problems with eating, excessive saliva, gets lethargic or shows discomfort, at that time I would suggest a Vet familiar with Hamsters. This is a little information on Hamster teeth: http://www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=teeth

I am going to give you a link for Vets that treat hamsters. in each blank please type the word member: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/vets.htm/

I will check back in a couple of days on Rhyder. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to assit you. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful! And good news too. I had two other questions about Rhyder if that's ok. I have noticed in the last few days that her cheek pouches have food in them, and she isn't emptying them, but still continues to eat from them and put more food in them. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about abscesses or if she is trying to save her energy by keeping food always with her. She also seems to be having respiratory problems, as she tires quickly, and needs to stop and breath heavily. She makes squeaking noises in her sleep, and seems to shake and sort of have a head spasm where she drops her head and picks it up when sleeping, like when you fall asleep in class. However, she doesn't have any other symptoms of an upper respiratory infection (sneezing, drainage, higher temperature). Since she is geriatric, I'm not sure to chalk both concerns to old age or not.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If you are using any of the wood beddings they can cause respiratory issues and allergies. Pine and Cedar are both toxic to Hamsters and other small animals. Something like Yesterdays News or Carfresh bedding is much better. As far as the cheek pouches, that can be problematic, since she can get impated cheek pouches and that needs to be checked by a Vet with Hamster experience. They will take a syringe and flush them out. It may be wise to have her seen not so much for the tooth issue, but to have the cheek pouches checked out and to be sure there is no respiratory issue. It sounds like she has you as a wonderful vigilant care taker. Tiring quickly can come with her age. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again. I have made sure to use Carefresh for that reason. I will take her to our vet to look at her pouches.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
I will check back in a few days. Joan