Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

How can I help my 10+ year old rabbit release sludge urine

Hello, and welcome.

I know you are worried about your rabbit but this may not be so serious ...

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Provided he otherwise appears healthy this could be normal. You see Rabbit urine can vary markedly in normal rabbits it can vary from light yellow through red and in to dark brown, this is normal for them. Also the urine can be thick with a white and chalky appearance. This may mean too much calcium in your rabbit's diet. Sometimes it can also have a slight yellow colour and will often be thick like toothpaste.

So really whether they have creamy urine or dark orange urine unless they are showing other symptoms then this could be normal for your pet.

You should cut back to a commercial rabbit pellet and plain hay as too much calcium in the diet can cause a thick sludgy urine. Of course if other symptoms appear or you become further concerned you should have a vet check him over but as I say it is possible that what you are seeing could be normal.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.