allpetsdr
allpetsdr, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 10 years in small animal and exotic pets medicine.
67715764

I have a ferret, roughly 5 to 7 years of age. Today I noticed

I have a ferret, roughly 5 to 7 years of age. Today I noticed he was dragging or wobbly on his legs. Dehydrated, painful belly, strains and grunts like he's trying to poop. Dark colored stains around his anus like he's had diarrhea but no signs of soft stools in his litter box. Going to a vet isn't an option for us since I was laid off and we're so far behind our bills. I assume is an intestinal blockage. What is my course of home remedy treatment....laxative, how to push fluids without IV, etc. Thank you.

allpetsdr :

Hi this is Dr M and I would try to assist you today

Customer:

Hello

allpetsdr :

Considering the age of Fuzzy, several other possible problems should be considered here. Some like insulinoma or lymphoma should be considered as both of them may cause some inability to walk. These are some common cancers that can occur in older ferrets over the age of 3 years of age. To be honest, foreign body is not very common in older ferrets so it would be less in my rule out list of possibilities here.

Customer:

So you're thinking cancer?

Customer:

Even with the straining and the pain?

allpetsdr :

The best thing obviously would be for you to have her evaluated. A blood test can provide a lot of information. If cost is a problem, a single blood sugar measurement. Blood sugar below of 60 are somewhat suggestive for insulinoma. A blood sugar below 45 is pretty consistent with insulinoma.

allpetsdr :

Lymphoma is another possibility here. It can causa neurological signs as well as organ enlargement. It is organ enlargement what can cause pain or abdominal discomfort.

allpetsdr :

Gastrointestinal signs can be just a complication. If Fuzzy is not able to walk well, she can even get some urine soiling as well as stool soiling.

Customer:

Ok....so even if we could afford any medical help, there really isn't much help to be had then?

Customer:

I mean it's ok and everything. We were kinda hoping for something with in our means but if we're talking more along the lines of cancer, it's outside our means. I understand you can't say either way because of liability issues and I appreciate you taking our question anyway.