Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a koi pond. Our largest koi is about 16 inches in length

I have a koi pond. Our largest koi is about 16 inches in length and appears very healthy with a great appetite. Yesterday, I noticed a small linear swelling approximately 1/2 centimeter below the right eye--dimension to be 1/2 cm long and 1/2 cm wide and raised approx 3 millimeters. Today the swelling appears doubled in size--fish not showing any adverse symptoms. Should I be concerned and if so what should be plan of treatment. Thankyou--kent

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I ama Vet tech for 30+ years and a Fish Keeper for ove 40 years.

I would like to ask some questions to be able to assist you.

Can you tell me if you have checked the water parmeters? What is the Ammonia Nitrites, and Nitrates ?

What type of test Kit do you use to test the water?

Are there other Fish in with Big Daddy?

Do you have anything in the pond that he could have injured himself on?

Is that the only spot on the body?

Can you post a Picture of the eye? You can use the paper clip Icon in the tool bar above the text box if you are using a PC, if you are using a mac or pad, please use Photobucket.com and post a link to the picture here.

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have no tested parameters--water was tested about a month ago and we were add salt, Yes about 20 other Koi and gold fish. No--not that i am aware of -it is a large pond about 7500 cubic feet.I have not seen any other spots--is really more of a swelling then a spot. Its dark here now so I can't get a picture

Does the spot look anything like this picture: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LIzmTP9Ktag/Tfzvmzx_wuI/AAAAAAAAAIo/lKa4k3xobWw/s200/carp+pox.jpg

Does the area(bump) look like a white waxy area?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no--does not look like that picture--its not raised spot or bump, It is a swelling under the skin. Does not look like a white waxy area

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no does not look like this picture. This is a swelling under the skin not a raised spot or bump. The area is not white or waxy

The picture I had given you was Carp Pox which is a Viral papilloma, so we can rule that out. What you are describing does not sound like a disease or a parasite but more of an injury on Big Daddy. With a large pond and a lot of fish we see one fish picking on another or a fish can bump into something causing swelling. The fact he is eating normally and swimming normally, is a sign he is feeling ok. What we can do is use a Hospital tank if you can catch him. We can treat him separately and monitor him to be sure there is nothing else going on. If you put him in a Hospital tank you can use 1 Teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of water in the tank. To make sure we are not dealing with an infection from an injury(possible abscess) you can teat with Maracyn ll which is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. This will cover the bases for infection, bacterial and fungal infections. If it should get worse, then I would considet a Fish Vet seeing Big Daddy, to diagnose and do a Fine Needle Aspiration of the area to make sure what we are deaing with. This is a link for Fish Vets: http://rkbrain.com/koivet/a_fishvets.html

Hopefully we can clear this problem without having to have a FNA(Fine needle aspiration). Please let me know if you have further questions about this issue. I want to continue to work with you to be sure you feel you have gotten Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since Big daddy will eat out of our hand --would it be possible to rub alittle antibiotic on some of the kibble bits? The rapid growth makes me feel it could be some type of a blocked duct. Could that be possible ?

Yes that is why I mentioned that it could be an abscess. When we are dealing with a blocked duct or abscess, the Vet will usually use light anesthesia and use a Small needle and pull some cells and see what would be needed to treat it. You can try an Antibiotic Fish Food and see if it will help. There is a food that works well called MEDI-GOLD if you can get it and feed instead or with the normal food: This is a link for Medi-Gold if yo cannot find it locally: http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=8 Joan

There is also Medi-Koi food: http://medikoi.com/ Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Big Daddy. How is everything going?

Joan