Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I am sure that you get dumb questions and this may qualify.

I am sure that you get dumb questions and this may qualify. My neighborhood is being held hostage by a group of skunks. I have been told that they are repelled by moth balls. Is this true? If not, do you have any suggestions as to what we might do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years. your question is not stupid at all. You asked about mothballs and they are actually illegal to put out because they can poison the ground, other animals and are a Class 1 carcinogen(cancer causing agent) due to the ingredients called Naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene. One of the suggested way to repell skunks is using Fox urine which is sold online. You put some of the fox urine on rags and place around the area. That will usually work well: http://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-repellent.php?utm_expid=13141440-22.4Utl80t2QN-AYUC4oLPRWw.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.aol.com%2Faol%2Fsearch%3Fquery%3DFox%2Burine%2Bas%2Ba%2Bskunk%2Brepellent%26s_it%3Dkeyword_rollover The other option is for the neighbohood to colectively have a trapper come in to trap and relocate the skunks. I would be happy to try and locate a trapper in your area with a State and City. In the mean time I would keep all pet foods inside, clear away brush from the area and close up any holes where the skink can get under houses or in hiding spots. They are nocturnal and usually come and stay if there is a good hiding spot and a food source. When those are taken out of the area they will usually move on. Please let me know if you have further questions about this problem and I would be happy to continue with you to resolve the skunk issue. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Joan,

While there are numerous hiding places, I am not aware of any food source so hopefully they will leave on their own. I am currently working with animal control using traps, etc.

I know the Fox urine is effective and environmently safe. The moth balls are very dangerous to pets and other wildlife and can pollute the ground water. The traps are very good. We use Have a Heart traps when we do trapping with some nice cat food as bait. My goal is to give you excellent service and I hope I have met that goak here today. Joan