Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in emergency, surgery and medicine

My rabbit has a litter of 4/5wk old kit,s and all appear very

Customer Question

My rabbit has a litter of 4/5wk old kit,s and all appear very healthy,unfortunatly the male was left with her for a day before we realised she had them....she gave birth this morning to another litter....should i move the older litter....the male has been removed to a cage at the side of her cage as she apears to stress when he,s out of site Hope you can help regards janet
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. In any case of domestic rabbit babies, do not remove the babies until they are a full eight weeks of age as they are still developing their intestinal flora from a combination of mom's milk and her cecotrophs. If they are separated before this time, they will most likely have intestinal flora development issues and not do well. The older kits shouldn't harm the younger ones. At eight weeks you can separate them and separate the male babies from the females at this time. Males can become sexually mature as early as ten weeks and they can then start this all again. The females can be impregnated the day of delivery. Hope this helps. Let me know what I can help with further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would the newborn,s be best to stay in nest,with the youngsters and mum as i read that you can remove them newborns during the day an put them back in over night,to stop them being jumped on

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me Janet. In a situation like this, I would leave them in the nest all the time. Removing and then replacing them can be very stressful on them. It may reduce the amount of time they could be stepped on, but they can still get stepped on during the night. Mom is more likely to hurt them stepping on them. Make sure her nails are trimmed well.