Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an 8 1/2 year old rabbit who has paralysis of the hind

I have an 8 1/2 year old rabbit who has paralysis of the hind legs.

He was around 3kg's but is now 1.9kg and has been that weight consistently for 6 months. I have taken them to the vets and he was put on Metacam 0.36ml a day and another medicine to stop stomach problems with the metacam.

He started off losing a bit of balance but it has got steadily worse in last 8 weeks in spite of Metacam. The vets believe it is old age but said they can not do anything else for him.

I am eager to try him on liquid glucosamine as he doesn't take tablets and shares a hutch. I have found a strawberry flavoured one which is 1500mg but I can't find any guidance on how much to give him.

Can you tell me what limit is safe please? And also if there is anything else I can get him to take/do for him?

Thanks
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I think you can try the glucosamine supplement, but it's unlikely to help here. If he is still paralyzed, then this is likely either secondary to a spinal cancer (lymphoma) or a previous spinal fracture. I think you really need to consider euthanasia. It sounds like his quality of life is suffering if he is unable to walk. You can get a cart for him, but dragging the rear legs is not a quality life.

When giving Glucosamine, you can give ~ 20-50 mg once daily to this size rabbit.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did speak to my vet about euthanasia and he said that he was reluctant to do this because he believes the rabbit has a quality of life.

Oscar (rabbit) is able to move around but he does wobble. He is able to clean himself and he has a hutch mate that he lives with and they adore eachother.

My vet did not want to consider euthanasia at the moment because he believes it would be unfair to the hutch mate also as they have been together 7 years and she would be depressed.

I would not keep him alive if I did think he was suffering unnecessarily. I am aware that the cause may be secondary and I will consider euthanasia when I feel he is telling me it is time.

At the moment I would like to try a supplement anyway to see if he can get some benefit.

20-50mg, how would I work that out in millilitres or fluid ounces if the bottle is for 1500mg glucosamine?

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
You have to figure out how many mg per mL and then get a dose from there.

You're likely going to end up giving < 0.5 mL at a time.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lyndsay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oscar. How is everything going?