Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Anna, Is there a safe way to give a Cavy a bath? the special

Is there a safe way to give a Cavy a bath? the special igloo i did for them, expecting it to be a bed and place to get off the mesh, turned out to be a huge toilet. the inside floor was caked with feces and now the Cavy's all stink like armpits. The rest of the feces and urine goes below and the cleanup is working out great. (except theynow pee on the floor when I take the top off)
Good evening,

What a mess you have! Unfortunately, it's risky to give them baths. It is very stressful for them, and it's usually only recommended to bathe guinea pigs if they have parasites or a skin infection for which the vet has prescribed special baths. However, this is a special situation, and you have to do something. Try to wash only the soiled area. That may be their back ends or their entire undersides. You may be able to find a gentle shampoo made for cavies in a pet store. If not, one made for kittens will work. Use warm water, rinse well, then towel dry thoroughly. After that, put the guinea pigs in a warm dry place until they are completely dry.

You can use a piece of cardboard to give them a place to get off the wire. Cut up a large box to make a number of cardboard squares. You'll need to replace them before they get dirty enough to cause the cavies to be dirty. I'm glad the clean up is working out well.

As always, if you need anything else, let me know.