Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

my dog has a recurring problem with the top of her nose. It

my dog has a recurring problem with the top of her nose. It swells, then eventually 'bursts' (with blood), heals, and then happens again a few weeks or months later. Sometimes you can see a small pinhole-like puncture in the center. It doesn't seem to cause her discomfort. What could this be?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.
I am sorry to hear Daisy is having some trouble with her nose.

It is possible that this is due to an allergy or hypersensitivity to something such as a mosquito bite, however without some testing there is no way to know for sure.

Other possibilities could be problems with the immune system resulting in conditions such as Discoid Lupus or pemphigus Click here for additional information

Eosinophilic Furunculosis and Nasal Pyoderma can also cause this Click here
While more often seen in older dogs the Golden's are predisposed to a type of cancer called mycosis fungoidus which can cause ulceration of the nose. I would not expect this to be the problem but needed to mention it due to the breed.

I would suggest asking your vet about doing a biopsy of the nose or referring you to a dermatologist to figure out what is going on for sure.

Until you can get testing done I would make sure you are using only stainless steel or glass bowls for food and water as some dogs can react to plastic and ceramic. Keep the area clean and keep her indoors as much as possible.

I hope this helps give you some additional things to discuss with your vet. Hopefully you will be able to get a biopsy done as I think this will give you some answers as to what is going on.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It the fact that it only happens in one spot (the hair right above the nose) significant?

Unfortunately all of the problem I listed can cause fistulas, blisters eruptions etc on any area of the nose which is why doing a biopsy is going to be your best option.

I also can not rule out that there is something such as a fox tail( grass seed) stuck under the skin and this is why the problem is continuing