Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I just got a rescue dog and he keeps scraching at his ears

I just got a rescue dog and he keeps scraching at his ears , I looked in his ears but saw nothing unsual. What can I try.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
many dogs will scratch at their ears or get ear infections due to underlying environmental or food allergies.

You could try giving some benadryl antihistamine.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

But, if it persists, you may need to get into the vet so they can also use a otoscope to evaluate deeper into the ear canals.
With bad allergies, sometimes a course of some steroid medication can be great to alleviate the scratch as well.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Duke,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?