Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years working in the veterinary field. I have experience with small, large and exotic species.

my ferret is not doing well just had him play with his brother

Customer Question

my ferret is not doing well just had him play with his brother and i left them alone for a while when i came back he was dragging his hind legs on the floor and seemed to be out of breath. both of my ferrets are males and about a year old. i went to pick him up and lie him in his bed until he pooped all over my hand. he is not in pain when i touch his feet and his back appears to be fine and he is still eating and drinking. could he just be exhausted from wrestling around?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Hinson :

Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

im not sure what to do

Usually hindlimb weakness, although it is a non-specific sign, it does indicate some type of underlying problem. The most likely is an insulinoma which is a tumor of the pancreas . The tumor produces too much insulin and it uses up all the circulating blood sugar making them weak especially after exercise. Although this is seen typically in older ferrets it can definitely be seen in younger ferrets as well.

Have you noticed any other symptoms like lethargy, not eating well, etc?