Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is an American Pittbull and develpoed a very red almost

My dog is an American Pittbull and develpoed a very red almost scaley rash on her belly and inner thighs. We used Chlorhexidine pads to wipe it off then lastnight gave her a bath with the same shampoo. It looked better , then got dry and scaley looking again. We have been giving her the appropriate amount of zyrtec to help and applied 1% hydocortisone cream which seemed to help with the redness and scaley. We know from her licking her paws last summer its most likely an allergen in the grass. It seems so raw is there anything else we can do for her that won't jack up a $400 vet bill? Thank you- Amy

Optional Information:
Dog's Gender: Female
Dog's Age: 3
Name of Dog: gretta
What have you tried so far?: douxo clohexidine, zyrtec, hydrocortisone cream
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Amy and thank you for requesting me.

Its possible this is due to secondary infection as a result of the allergies. If this is the case it could be hard to clear up without medication. It is also possible that this is due to fungal infection.

I would continue to clean the area with chlorhex 2-3 times daily but it would be better to use the scrub rather then the wipes or you can get Betadine and dilute with water to the color of tea rinse well and apply neosporin rub in well.

If the Zyrtec is not helping then you can try oral Benadryl . This is dosed at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours as needed.

Try to keep her off the grass and or limit exposure to any possible allergen. When outside you can put a t shirt on her to limit contact.

If this does not clear then you may need to have her seen as oral antibiotics may be needed.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If this just came about would you think it is mange. we got it to clear up completely the other night and later in the day it came back

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
No considering the sudden onset, the area it is located and the fact that it cleared up is more suggestive of allergies.
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Actually we did exactly what you said and it completely cleared up. We gave her Benedryl that night and next day. We also cleaned her belly with the chlorehexidine pads gently . Then applied Neosporin a few times and its only slightly pink in one spot. No dry scaly skin, or redness. I'm afraid it was from a baby wipe. She gets muddy and we wiped her belly and back of legs down with baby wipes a couple times. That's right where the rash happened . Do u think she could've been sensitive and broke out from them. They weren't dye or perfume free or anything .
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Yay I am so happy to hear that it helped and she is doing better. Yes some dogs can be sensitive to the products in baby wipes especially if they contain perfumes or aloe. I would use a warm wet cloth to wipe her down in the future just in case this was the cause.

Please give her a good belly rub from me and tell her I am so happy she is doing better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much! So glad it isn't mange or anything like that.The advice really gave us a better piece of mind. I think she is just very sensative to a lot of different things. Unfortunetly yesterday she licked her two front paws. Not as bad as she has in the past but we cleaned them with the chlorhexidine, put neopsporin on them and switched to giving her a benadryl which seemed to help better than the zyrtec. It happened last summer also but, when the cold weather comes it goes away and she stops licking them. We think it is somethinh in the grass doing it. Also we had a cone to put on her so she can't lick them when we're not home. I think we just really need to stay on top of wiping her feet off so whatever is irritating them will come off, then she won't have the urge to lick them. This little girl is always having an issue. I wish we had her from a puppy so we knew how she was treated before she ended up at the pound.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
This breed is very prone to allergies so I am not surprised at all. One thing we do for ours that also has allergies is keep a small dishpan of water by the door and dip his feet in after he goes outside and then dry them. Adding apple cider vinegar to the water helps with the itching as well. Having his feet cleaned after outside trips has helped tremendously as it removes all the pollen. It also helps to keep a wash cloth in the bucket and just wipe her down when she comes in. You can also see if she will wear a pair of booties or even baby socks to help reduce contact.

I am so glad I was able to help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much ! We will defenitly use those tips for her paws.