Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

Hi,I have a young 9-10 week old bunny

Customer Question

Hi, I have a young 9-10 week old bunny at home. when we brought the bunny home his anus was red, we just brought him home three days ago. Now his anus is swollen red and was bleeding yesterday. bunny is still eating, pooping and acting normal.

Same bunny has White gunk in his eyes, but seems to be getting better after putting in an eyedrop (opthalmic) antibiotic. in his eyes. Gunk in hi seyes have always been white, could it be because of his fur, bunny is angora/lionhead mix.

Optional Information:
Type of Animal: bunny
Animal's Age: 9-10 weeks
Name of Animal: DEW
What have you tried so far?: using opthalmic antibiotic twice a day. sibling seems fine

Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 3 years ago.
Hi there. Congratulations on your new bunny!
What your are describing sounds like hutch burn. Sometimes, when the cage isn't kept very clean, the rabbit sits in urine and can get skin irritation around the anus. The best thing that you can do at this point is keep his cage very, very clean and make sure he has plenty of dry places to sit. As long as he is passing stool normally, you shouldn't need to clean or put ointment on his anus, and he may try to lick off anything you put on. Keeping his fluffy angora coat short around and under his tail is also helpful to allow the area to stay clean and dry.

The white discharge from the eye may be normal for him, and if he was in a dirty environment before, it may get better as he breathes cleaner air and his eyes are less irritated. It is possible that long fur could be rubbing and irritating his eyes, and it may be worthwhile to trim it. If it is yellow, green, increasing in volume, or he is squinting his eyes, it's time to see the vet.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mechelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dew. How is everything going?

DrTaus