Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

my Swiss female guinee pig about 18month old was behaving strangely

Customer Question

my Swiss female guinee pig about 18month old was behaving strangely last night.
She shares her cage that has a plastic bottom with another female.I think she could possibly be overweight.She was running around biteing the cage floor and the side of the china food dish picking up mouthfuls of hay and attempting to throw it over her shoulder.Her back end seemed to be bothering her.Then she would lay down
breathing heatherly.I have bathed her today to see if this helps.But she is still not very active.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech with interest in small animals.

Can you tell me what type of diet Heidi is eating?

Is she housed with a male or female?

What type of bedding do you use?

Do you feed any supplements?

Is she manking any strange noises with her breathing?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has another female her cage.although I have a male in another cage

Only hay for bedding , vitamin C .she is making a little noise when i carry her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has a mixed diet of green foods. pets at home dried pellets.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for the delay. We had a bad storm and lost internet connection and I just got back online. I suspect that she may be going through a false pregnancy, from the description you are giving. She is exhibiting nesting behavior, with the hay and acting as if she is going to labor with her laying down and breathing. If she has not been with a male piggie, then this is a real possibility. You may want to check her teats for milk production. This is not a common problem in Guinea Pigs, but since you do have a male in the house and she is housed with another piggie, her hormones may be a bit out of whack and has set off the behavior. I would have her seen by a Exotic small animal Vet to have her checked out and be sure this is what is happening. I am basing this suspicion on the behaviors you have described, but a Vet can do a hands on exam and be sure that it is not something more serious. This is a link for Guinea Pig Vets in the UK: http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_England

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Eileen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi. How is she doing?

Joan