Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Anna, What type of entertainment/exercise can I put in the

Anna,

What type of entertainment/exercise can I put in the cage for the Cavy? they seem to love running in circles (kicking lots of bedding/litter out) and drinking a full bottle of water per day. Over the years I have had some that used an exercise wheel, but some of the pet store employees advise against it.

Excellent question. with cavies, it's best not to have toys they climb on because falls are dangerous. In nature guinea pigs stay on the ground, unlike hamsters and mice. Many of them like to toss around cardboard tubes from toilet paper or kitchen wrap. I've had some who enjoyed playing with the indestructible hard plastic balls made for dogs. Don't use other kinds as they may be able to get pieces off. That could cause serious digestive problems. Here's an online source for the ball:

http://www.carealotpets.com/products/indestructible-balls__268e.aspx

The wooden chew toys made for rabbits are also fine. Some cavies won't play with toys, but simply like to run and kick, but many of them will play with the cardboard tubes, chew toys, and indestructible balls.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. The Cavy care book I have says no towel or tp tubes. Are they safe?
You're welcome. I've been using them for years for rabbits and guinea pigs for years with no problem. I suppose the author of the book may have known someone whose cavy ate a cardboard tube and became impacted. That would be unusual, but could happen. But the same thing can occur with wood chew toys and many of the plastic toys sold for guinea pigs.. Soft toys and pieces of cloth pose a greater risk because they tend to gum up in the digestive system. Even the ASPCA suggests TP tubes as toys:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/small-pet-care/guinea-pig-care

Here is a site that sells commercial toys for cavies:

http://www.guineapigsupply.com/cat-guinea-pig-toys.cfm

In the end, you're the only one who can decide how much risk you want to take. No toy is 100% safe. You could choose to give them toys only when you are there to supervise. That way, if they start eating something, you can take it away. The rest fo the time, if they have friends and plenty of hay to nibble on, they shouldn't get bored.

Anna
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rosie. How is everything going?

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

I took your advise and decided to try some things. I am still working on building the new cage as we discussed in the previous postings, so i have some time for them to show me what they like. I also saw an exercise pen at the pet store for Cavy that I may get/make to add to their environment. I just need to get it done before she delivers again.

You put so much care into everything. Your cavies are a lucky group.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I am enjoying having them again.