Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience:  Works at a Veterinary Teaching Hospital to bring you the best.
74509961

Hi I have a rabbit who I brought to the vet about 3 weeks ago

Hi I have a rabbit who I brought to the vet about 3 weeks ago due to his teary eye that is slightly pink around the edges. The vet said it was pink eye and gave me neomycin ointment to put on twice a day which I've been doing and the eye is still irritated just not as bad. Any Recommendations?
Thank you,
Judy

Dr. CMar :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian here to try and answer your questions.

Dr. CMar :

There are other medications that your vet can put Benjamin on to try and help. I would also recommend an E-collar to prevent him from rubbing it or scratching at it.

Dr. CMar :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. CMar :

There are other topical antibiotics, such as triple antibiotic (no steroids) and ciprofloxacin drops which are better than neomycin. This is likely an infection from Pasteurella which is very common in rabbits. These two drops will kill this bacteria better than neomycin drops. You can also give flurbiprofen drops to decrease the inflammation in the eye. These will help to make Benjamin feel better. I am unsure if your vet carries these medications, but they can always order them for you. If this does not work, he may need an oral antibiotic to help him.

Dr. CMar :

I am sorry we were unable to connect today. Please let me know if I can do anything else for you. I strive for 100% satisfaction and I appreciate a positive rating.

Dr. CMar :

I will check back to see if there is anything else I can do for you.