Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Anna, Is it best to have food always available for the Cavys

Is it best to have food always available for the Cavy's or is it best to feed them on a schedule? I have heard both ways.
Hi once more,

It's really a matter of preference, except for hay. Good grass hay should always be available to them. It's the only way to be sure they get enough fiber and keep their digestive systems working properly. I have always made hay and pellets available freely, and given produce on a daily schedule. I like to be sure the produce is fresh and doesn't start to spoil, so I remove any that isn't eaten after about an hour. Free feeding or feeding on a schedule (except hay) isn't going to make a difference in their health, so do whatever works best for you.