Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Owns a small animal hospital for 35 years

i am thinking about getting a weimeraner. Only the last one

i am thinking about getting a weimeraner. Only the last one i got had lots of problems (heart issues 10,000 dollar surgery) Can you tell me the best way to find a good one? ii can not afford another expensive one!

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Probably the best way to know how the new pup is going to do is to contact the breeder and ask for a list of people that they have sold puppies to in the last several years. Call, write, or e-mail them and ask if there have been any serious medical problems. Obviously, you will not be able to definitively make a 100% call on whether your new puppy will ever have problems, but if there is something in their breeding lines, you should be able to identify it by talking to owners of their pups.

thank you

Hi Sarah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf