Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Anna, I was handling Rosie today and noticed that a lot

Anna,

I was handling Rosie today and noticed that a lot of the hair on her flanks (only her flanks) has either fallen out or changed texture significantly. She does not seem in pain or have any sores in the areas of the hair loss. also, it looks like I did not get her separated soon enough and she is pregnant again (I can feel the babies in the same area she carried them before). any thoughts on what it could be?

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Hello again,

I'm sorry for the delay - I was away for much of the day today. Is the hair loss symmetrical on each side of Rosie's flanks?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem on the delay. it is worth it for good answers. Yea, pretty much. it is almost all of her haunches, but there is a stripe about 1/16th -1/25th of an inch down her spine that is unaffected. the rest of her pelt is the same texture and thickness everywhere else. I was wondering if it had to do with her new pregnancy. Or perhaps with the pups being on those sides for feeding all the time. What do you think?

PS: I think you have to be the one to close out the previous question I asked.

Thank you. There is more than one possibility for the fur loss. If the babies actually chewed on Rosie's fur as they nursed, that could account for it. However, it isn't likely to be perfectly symmetrical in that case. I believe that you're most likely seeing a hormonal imbalance. Pregnancy can trigger such imbalances in guinea pigs. Cushing's disease also occurs in guinea pigs. The adrenal glands become enlarged. Cushing's can be treated with L-deprenyl or laser treatments to shrink the glands. Ovarian cysts are yet another cause of hormone imbalances that can result in hair loss. To treat ovarian cysts, spaying is necessary. Unfortunately, that surgery is quite risky in guinea pigs, so you'd want to weigh the risks against the benefits. You can read more about these and other causes of hair loss at the following site:

http://www.guinealynx.com/hairloss.html

To diagnose and treat these disorders, you'll need an experienced guinea pig vet. These conditions can be difficult to diagnose, and an ultrasound may be necessary. Something you can try before that is to remove the babies and let them have no contact with Rosie at all. If the fur loss has been caused by their nursing, the fur should grow back. If it doesn't, you'll need to pursuemfurther testing to find out what is going on.

I looked at your previous question, and from what I can see, it seems to be closed. If you're still seeing it as being open, let me know. As always, if you have more questions about the fur loss, don't hesitate to ask.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.