Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My female rabbit, has just started pulling put her fur from

My female rabbit, has just started pulling put her fur from her back legs, I noticed it yesterday. She is eating and drinking.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for requesting me. I have been raising and showing rabbits for over 30 years, and I'll be happy to help you today. Some additional information will be helpful.

Is she spayed? If not, has she had contact with a male?

Have you seen her pull out the fur, or just found the clumps?

Examine the skin where the fur is missing? Does it look normal, red, flaky, have sores on it, etc.? Do you see any fine, downy hairs starting to grow in it?

Thank you.

Anna

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flick has not been spayed, I have not witnessed her pulling out her fur, she has not been near another rabbit.skin looks normal, I have just washed her back legs, no new hair growing as far as I can see.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Has she pulled out so much fur that the area is bald?

Were her back legs dirty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has pulled the fur from the inside of her back legs, one of her legs was dirty , as if she hass laid in wee, which I had just noticed, there are a couple of little bald patches on both legs.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all the additional information. I’m working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. (I'm not a fast typist).Please don’t respond to this post as that can lock me out of the question. I’ll be back shortly.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your patience. There are three common reasons why rabbits pull out their own fur. One is to make a nest, whether due to a pregnancy or a false pregnancy. I don't think that is what Flick is doing. They usually pull fur from the neck when that happens.

Boredom, often due to a lack of fibrous food to keep them busy. If you don't already do this, provide unlimited grass hay for Flick.

Finally, irritation or pain in the area can cause a rabbit to bite at itself, pull out fur, and scratch the are if possible. It's impossible for a rabbit to scratch the inside of the hind legs, so biting and fur pulling are more likely there. I suspect that Flick may have a urinary tract problem. When they have such problems, they can't control the flow of urine and it will leak down the inside one or both back legs. The urine dries on the skin, and eventually the ammonia in it even burns the skin. This is called urine scald. Urine leakage can be caused by infection, bladder or kidney stones, diabetes, tumors, kidney disease, or a condition called sludge.

Now that flick is clean, inspect her several times a day. If it looks like there is urine on the legs again, you can be pretty sure she has one of these conditions. In that case, you'll need to see a rabbit vet. This link will take you to a directory of such vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

Some rabbits do pull out their own fur when they start a normal molt. In that case, you should see new little hairs starting to poke through the skin within a week.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Flick will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michele,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Flick. How is everything going?

Anna