Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog hasnt eaten or pooped in 4 days does drink water but

Customer Question

My dog hasn't eaten or pooped in 4 days
does drink water but started to throw up the water last night with brown in it
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

You didn't mention how old Shelly is, or whether or not she is spayed, but those are important considerations here. 4 days is a LONG time to go without eating, and that makes me worried about issues such as cancer, kidney disease, pyometra (a serious infection in the uterus), or a blockage from eating a foreign object.

The brownish vomit may suggest some bleeding going on in the stomach or intestines, possibly associated with ulcers, or cancer.

Shelly desperately is in need of re-hydration and restoration of normal electrolyte levels, as I suspect that she's not far from having major internal complications from not eating and being unable to hold down water. I must suggest seeing a veterinarian today, so that blood tests and x-rays can be done, after a thorough physical examination.