Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience:  Works at a Veterinary Teaching Hospital to bring you the best.
74509961

See previous JustAnswer questions and answers Background:

Customer Question

See previous JustAnswer questions and answers

Background:
* Mimi is resident cat - 2 years
* Sammy is new cat rescued from shelter - guessed at 1.5 years - in home for 3 weeks now
* Due to ignorance, allowed cats to meet after only separating them for only 3-4 days, this began with hissing and Sammy crying like a baby, but eventually led to a physical fight
* Now they have been separated again over last 2 weeks (Sammy kept in bedroom)

Current Problem/abnormal signs of Mimi:
Mimi remains ever watchful of Sammy though she knows he is behind the bedroom door. She is now withdrawn and lethargic, started a couple of days ago. Walking slowly. Is eating some (maybe a little less) and doesn't come out of my bedroom during the day until I get home from work. Even then, she withdraws to different room. She doesn't want to be picked up anymore. She doesn't want to play anymore. Just lies around with her back to you or leaves the room when you enter. For a while, she allow me to rub her, her tail moves about as if she is very happy still and most times which seem strange considering the other behavior.

My daughter thinks it all has to do with our testing the Feliway diffuser. She says Mimi has been different every since we left that thing in overnight. It is now removed.

HELP please. Should I take Mimi to the animal emergency?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Christina replied 1 year ago.

Dr. CMar :

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian here to try and answer your questions.

Dr. CMar :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. CMar :

Sounds like you've had quite the ordeal with your two cats.

Customer:

Yes, I can chat. Thank you.

Dr. CMar :

You have 2 cats and they got in a fight when you tried to put them together? is that correct?

Dr. CMar :

and now they are separated, but Mimi is not herself?

Dr. CMar :

I just want to make sure I understand your situation.

Customer:

Yes, that is correct. One is a shelter rescue. Mimi has been with me since she was a baby kitten.

Dr. CMar :

And did Mimi get hurt at all during this fight?

Customer:

The shelter rescue, Sammy, has had difficulties too. In fact, just now, my daughter informed after he came in from outside 'talking to the birds', she put him back in bedroom and began rubbing him and he bit her.

Dr. CMar :

That would be my biggest concern with why she is not acting right

Dr. CMar :

I would be very concerned about that. Your daughter needs to go to an Urgent Care right away to get that treated.

Dr. CMar :

The shelter cat - was he vaccinated?

Customer:

No, Mimi didn't get hurt in the fight as far as I can tell. She was very frightened. Watched behind her for days. Wouldn't sit with her back to the door, etc. Trembled on occasion.

Dr. CMar :

for rabies?

Customer:

Yes. Shelter cat vaccinated and we took him to the vet about 10 days with us because he had a sore on his backside that vet said came from fighting.

Customer:

Not fighting with Mimi. Fighting in the shelter before we brought him home.

Dr. CMar :

I am very concerned about your new cat. He sounds very aggressive, and I would be very concerned about Mimi being in the same room with him.

Customer:

Yes, I'm getting to that same conclusion. I'm guessing it's time to take him back. Just wanting to make sure it's the right thing to do.

Dr. CMar :

I would also take Mimi to a vet today just to make sure she has no injuries. Often times a cat bit doesn't show up for a few days. It would be best to have your vet thoroughly look over her, just to be safe.

Dr. CMar :

I think it is in Mimi's best interest. You must however tell them that he bit your daughter.

Dr. CMar :

This will not go over lightly with them and he will need to be quarantined in the shelter.

Customer:

Ok. I'll take Mimi to the vet today if I can get in. Otherwise, first thing next week. Or are you suggesting emergency? Trying to get a sense of the urgency from you. Please advise.

Dr. CMar :

I don't think it's an emergency right now. If she stops eating or vomiting, or you see any sores develop, or she becomes lethargic, I would take her to an emergency vet.

Dr. CMar :

I would try to get her in today though. Otherwise, watch for those signs over the weekend if they can't get her in today

Dr. CMar :

And if you notice those, then take her to emergency.

Customer:

She is definitely lethargic. Reluctant to jump on bed but will. Daughter said she went all day yesterday and didn't come out of my bedroom, no eating. She is eating today but I'm home with her which seems to make a different. Also, my daughter and I just noticed a small patch of missing hair at the back of Mimi's neck that wasn't there before. The skin doesn't appear to be open though.

Customer:

I'll call vet now for appointment. Maybe I should take her to emergency if I can't get in. Yes?

Dr. CMar :

I would definitely try to get her in today just to make sure. she might just be jostled from the fight

Dr. CMar :

yes.

Dr. CMar :

If she's lethargic. I don't want to miss anything that's wrong with her.

Customer:

OK. Thank you.

Dr. CMar :

you are welcome. please let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience: Works at a Veterinary Teaching Hospital to bring you the best.
Hi Patricia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about The Mimi. How is everything going?

Dr. CMar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the follow up. And, I do so appreciate the support.

I was able to get The Mimi to the vet only a couple of hours after our last email exchange. THANK YOU so much for that encouragement as she was running a 106 fever and had an infection (lymph nodes inflamed or something - didn't listen much admittedly once I heard about the fever and that injections could help). most likely from a scratch during the fight the vet said. She is doing swimmingly now. Feisty as ever. Woke me this morning with her backside on my head. :)

Yes, it was a difficult weekend for the pets and me. We sadly were left to return Sammy/Goblin. It was hard to leave him there. REALLY hard. I have a little ache every time I walk by his room. The Mimi on the other hand is just as happy as can be that he is gone. She walks to his room carefully and when clear he is gone, wags her tail excitedly, trots off to her spot on the carpet and flips to expose her belly for rubbing. Has done that twice now.

Thank you AGAIN for your encouragement to get The Mimi to the vet right away. I appreciate you folks SO much.