Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

When is it safe to separate/weening baby guinea pigs from the

For Cher only: When is it safe to separate/weening baby guinea pigs from the mother? Additionally: If the mother gets pregnant before the weening time is completed, will her milk stop? If so, what can be done to save the babies?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in pet health and many years experience raising both guinea pigs and rabbits.

The babies are usually weaned between 2 and 3 weeks of age. They should ahve started eating the same foods (as well as continuing to nurse) as their mother by 3 days of age. After two weeks, the babies should be fine without any milk from the mother. The mother becoming pregnant should not cause her to dry up her milk supply. However, many other conditions can result in that.

If you have babies that still need to nurse, and the mother is not producing milk, you can treat them as if they are orphans. t can be very difficult to save orphan guinea pigs. First of all, milk isn't a suitable food. Cow's milk and the milks made to substitute for cat or dog milk are not digestible for guinea pig babies. There is no substitute milk that is close to guinea pig milk. Baby guinea pigs are capable of eating pellets and vegetables from birth because they are born so well-developed. The best substitute food for a baby guinea pig is Oxbow Critical Care. It's a specially formulated food that is mixed with water to form a slurry, which can be fed from a syringe.It's usually available from vets. You can also make your own slurry using crushed pellets and water. I would add some liquid vitamin C. I'll give you a link to a site that will tell you how in a moment. Another good substitute is to use the rice cereal made for human infants. Mix with water according to the package directions and syringe-feed. Also make sure there are plenty of pellets, timothy hay, and greens available. By age two weeks,babies should be eating quite a bit of solid food. If it isn't, then you'll need to hand feed it. It should be fed every two or three hours. These two sites have lots of more detailed information on raising baby guinea pigs:

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your babies will thrive.

Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rosie. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the family seems to be doing great. The little ones are eating pellets and I have seen them both on the raised platform where the water is getting a good drink. I think things will be good. they still nurse a little, but not much. and they have over doubled in size.

I think she is pregnant again btw, just because I felt her stomach and the areas that I felt the babies in before feel like warm water balloons.

I am very curious about the social structure that seems to exist. The boar is very protective of the children, and to a lesser degree Rosie too. when I take one of the babies out of the cage to hold it they go crazy all over the cage, even biting the bars if they see us.

However all in all they seem to be doing great. I am planning a new cage for them this weekend. something closer to a hutch to make the cleaning easier. (need to clean it 2x per week now)

I'm glad to hear everything is going well. Remember that the little males can be sexually mature at 3 weeks, so it's best to separate them then. I hope they continue to thrive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have added you to my preferred list.