Rebeccavet
Rebeccavet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian since 1985, treating cats, dogs, and other small animals
11877925

I have 1 male and 1 female Marmoset. They are the same age

Customer Question

I have 1 male and 1 female Marmoset. They are the same age 1 year 6 months old. They are not related in any way, i bought them from different owners. My male was never aggressive always loving, but has now attacked my daughter 3 times very badly. I dont really want to have him "fixed" as he is very small, much smaller than the female and im really scared something will happen to him. Is there any medication i could rather give him to calm down rathernthan having an operation done?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Rebeccavet replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
I am sorry to hear about your daughter being bitten.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

When young, marmosets live in a group, and are very social. So when he was a baby, he was very loving and sweet with others. When growing up in your family, he learned that humans were his equals, his peers.

At over a year of age, he is becoming socially, sexually, and emotionally mature. In the wild, once grown up, marmosets form a strong monogamous bond between a male and a female, and then defend their territory from others. If raised with humans, they see humans as equals, and as potential threats to their territory, and attack. So this is normal behavior for a pair of marmosets at this age.

There is no drug that will change his natural behavior. There are drugs that will sedate him temporarily, but over time you would have to give more and more to get the same effect. Drugging him into being more submissive would not be good for his health. And, drugs can sometimes make an animal more dangerous, more likely to bite because their inhibitions are lowered.

From what I am reading, even neutering will probably not change this behavior. He is acting the way adult male marmosets act.

I checked with a primate expert, and he says that marmosets have to be kept in a very large cage at all times once they are adults.

Please let me know if I can answer or help with anything else.

Rebeccavet, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian since 1985, treating cats, dogs, and other small animals
Expert:  Rebeccavet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating! I appreciate it.

I hope you can work things out so that everyone is happy.