Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

I am a raccoon rehabilitator. We use capstar for maggots but

Customer Question

I am a raccoon rehabilitator. We use capstar for maggots but my last intake now won't poop. For two days all I have done is give fluids. She has to get calories but I am wondering if she has a blockage of dead maggots. She did eat the first day and gave one bowel movement but nothing since. Is there something I can give her to help her?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

While I don't typically do much work with wildlife, it is likely to be a reasonable option to try Miralax powder, which can be obtained in any pharmacy.

Drew :

If you think there's difficulty in passing stools, 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax powder can be dissolved in a few mL of water, and given via syringe.

Drew :

this will help soften any stools that are present in the colon.

Drew :

Of course, the bigger thing to remember is that any animal who is not eating much, will also not defecate much.

Drew :

so if she is not receiving food, then her bowel output will be low.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way the maggots harmed her and that's why she won't eat? She ate first day but now refuses and often cries in pain. I give her matacam daily but it desnt do much for her

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Maggots generally only eat diseased (dead) tissue -- so typically the bigger question is what amount of tissue damage was present, and is that the cause of the problem, rather than just the presence of the maggots.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so I got in two baby raccoons approx 5 weeks old and they were extremely dehydrated and fly larva filled. Some had hatched and were in the anus. I was told these babies were alone more then 5 days and I lost the boy second day in. The female cries in pain even with metacam and I continue to give fluids only because she won't take anything by mouth

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
I don't really have the ability to know what is going on with these little ones without an examination -- but the severe pain, even with the use of a potent anti inflammatory, and refusal to take anything by mouth, mean that the prognosis is quite guarded, to poor.

Your initial question was in reference to giving something to assist with possible difficulty defecating -- beyond that, it's not something I can really answer without an examination.