Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  Enjoys Surgery, Internal medicine, and Dermatology.
2263760

I just saw my two new kittens nursing on my 5 year old calico

I just saw my two new kittens nursing on my 5 year old calico that might be pregnant...I should know in about a week and half I think. Should I be concerned?

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX

1. Is Syren currently producing milk?

2. What did she do when they tried to nurse on her?

3. How old are the kittens?

4. What did you do to separate them? Did you put them in separate rooms and shut the doors?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I don't know if she is honestly. She has gotten out and come back and been okay. She has been acting different this time so I thought she might be pregnant, but I can't really tell. Her nipples are bigger than my other female cats though.

2. She just layed on her side...she doesn't move away from them...even grooms them...

3. IF what the people I got them from told me is true, they should be about 3-4 months old...though I am starting to suspect that they may be a month or so younger than that

4. I sprayed water under the bed...I don't have another room I could put them in where they would have human contact. My room is like base camp.

Ok,

If she is pregnant, it will not hurt her to nurse the kittens. I am surprised she is letting them do so.

It would be strange for 3-4 month old kittens to still want to nurse.

You can see if she has milk. Don't laugh at me, but you can grasp the nipple between your finger. Gently squeeze just below the nipple. If you see a clear fluid come out, then that is colostrum which is the first milk with the mother's antibiodies in it. If you get white milk, then she is definitely pregnant. If she has milk, her the mammary tissue, surrounding her nipples will become 3-5 times larger than normal.

Maybe you could put them in the bathroom, with a meal, and then shut the door so Syren can have a break. If she seems to like caring for the kittens, then I would not worry about it. She sounds like a very nice girl.

Also, if she is pregnant, you will want to start her on kitten food for the last month of her pregnancy . Gestation for cats is 60-63 days after breeding.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply."

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the mammary tissue the sac like deal that she has hanging from her stomach? That is a lot more droopier than I have noticed before. She doesn't seem to be bothered and this is the first time I have seem them do this. They have eaten normal food since I got them. I will check her nipples if I can!

The mammary tissue is the breast tissue or the tissue that the nipples are attached to. The mammary tissue are her breasts. Cats have 6-8 breasts. The breasts are always under the nipples. Just like in humans : )

I mean if Syren is pregnant, then she should be put on kitten food. Cats who are nursing, which means feeding their babies with milk, should be kept on the kitten food until her kittens are weaned and taught to eat solid food.

Kittens should eat kitten food until they are a year old.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it does...I will get some kitten food. Thank you!

Ok great. Let me know if you have other questions.

If not could you please rate my answer by clicking a "smiley face Smile?"

Many Thanks

Hi Vanessa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Syren. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby