Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

mouse has swelling which began beneath left eye and that eye

Customer Question

mouse has swelling which began beneath left eye and that eye seems to be bulging - the eye is clear and black, no redness around - just puffy - may tear but is not crusty or yellow and isn't tearing enough to be noticible - he moves around a lot so it is hard to get a good look. he is otherwise fat soft and healthy - has all his hair and ears

Thank you
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

My name is Joan and I am a Vet Tech with special interest in small exotic mammals. What you are describing with the swelling under the eye is common when there is a dental problem. If this is let go over time it can cause more serious issues. You can read about Dental problems here and if you scroll down, you will see a swollen cheek as one of the problems: Since the tooth root goes up into the scull it can also affect the eye. Most likely there is an infection in the tooth root. I hate to tell you this, but it will need to be addressed by a Vet familiar with mice and rats. You can find Rat Vets here: You will need to type the word member in each blank and it will bring up a list. The Vet will most likely start Brownie on an antibiotic to help clear the infection. I would make sure Brownie has plenty of chew toys and see the Vet tomorrow. You can put a Drop of Sterile Saline(the type contact lens wearers use) in the eye to soothe it if it seems to bother him. Please let me know if I can assist you further. My goal is to give you 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brownie. How is everything going?