How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joan Your Own Question
Joan, Vet Technician
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 17295
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Joan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am rehabilitating a female squirrel. Shes approximately

This answer was rated:

I am rehabilitating a female squirrel. She's approximately 4 months old. While I was preoccupied with a family emergency, she chewed through a tube of Neosporin. Will she be ok?


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech who works with all times of Small animals and Wildlife. I do need to ask a couple of questions.

Do you know if Chi Chi ingested any part of the tube?

Was the tube metal or plastic?

Did she just chew through the tube or do you think she ate a large amount of the Ointment?

What the formula the type with pain killer or without?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joan,


She may have ingested part of the tube. I did find small pieces of it on my counter but it's hard to tell if she actually ate any of it.


The tube is plastic on the outside but is silver on the inside. I'm not sure if that means that it's metal.


It looks like she ingested some of the ointment. There is a good amount gone from where she was chewing through the tube. Possibly up to a teaspoon.


It was the original ointment.



Hi Pamela,

The Neosporin itself is not toxic and it is used for minor wounds. It will cause gastrointestinal upset and diarrhea if too much was ingested. In a Squirrel that young it can get serious because of dehydration. I would be prepared with some Pedialyte and fluids if needed. As far as the tube if she chewed it and swallowed pieces of the tube, that can also be a problem, because depending on the size of the pieces they could cause an intestinal blockage or perforation passing through the intestinal tract. I do suggest contacting a Vet for supportive care at this point. My concern is not toxicity, but a possible blockage from pieces of the tube and diarrhea leading to dehydration. The Vet may want to give you something for diarrhea and shhot an X ray to see if the pieces of tube will pass. In the mean time watch the stools carefully for any signs of blood in the stool from the pieces of the tube and monitor for the onset of diarrhea. It may not hurt to start Chi Chi on some Bene Bac which is a Pro biotic to help with gut flora and please make sure you giving a good calcium supplement and getting Chi Chi into the sun for UVB rays. Please let me know if you have further questions or need help. My goal is to assist you in helping Chi Chi. Joan

Joan and 4 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



My regular veterinarian won't be in his office until tomorrow morning at 8:00 am. Do you think it's ok to wait until then? So far, she seems ok. I'd rather not take her to an emergency veterinarian, as most of them don't deal with squirrels. My vet is a wildlife rehabilitator and very good with all kinds of animals, especially exotics. I have pedialyte on hand from when we first rescued her, so I can give it to her, if needed. How long after ingestion do you think the diarrhea will start? Is it possible that she may not even get diarrhea?



Hi Pamela,

She should be ok until tomorrow as long as she does not start with the diarrhea or appear to have an gastrointestinal pain from pieces of the tube. She may not have ingested enough to cause problems, but I need to make you aware of the worst case scenario and hope it does not come to that. I am hoping that she did not ingest too much, since it does not taste good. In any case vigilance will be important with her and if she does seem in distress, I would try to reach your Vet as most Vets that do rehab will come in to the office for an emergency. If you cannot reach him then the ER Vet would be needed. For now monitor her and you can even offer some Pedialyte to help flush her system. Joan


I'm just following up on our conversation about Chi Chi. How is everything going?


Related Pet Questions