Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I have 3 cats and a 5 month old puppy. My puppy of course loves

I have 3 cats and a 5 month old puppy. My puppy of course loves the cat poop and no matter what command I give him it doesn't keep him away from the box. It only gets his head out of it. My fiance is at his wits end with it because of course he doesn't want to see cat poop being eaten on our carpet...on our carpet at all, for that matter. Is there anything I can give the puppy to not want to eat the cats poop? Or is my only option on that end to give the cats something so that their poop is less appealing?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

Regardless of what claims may be made by manufacturers of products that supposedly reduce this issue,

Drew :

these products are generally a waste of money since they are not effective.

Drew :

Coprophagy (eating feces) is more of a behavioral issue -- meaning that you need to find a way to prevent Sawyer from having access to the litter box.

Drew :

This may mean placing the litter box in a bathtub, or in a location that only the cats can get to.

Drew :

Restricting Sawyer's access to the litter box is the only reliable method for reducing or preventing coprophagy.

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.