Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My daughter just called. Her 3 1/2 year old guinea pig has

My daughter just called. Her 3 1/2 year old guinea pig has stopped eating and is laying on her side and one side is twitching. She's lost weight. I saw her yesterday and she was eating some and drinking. She was whistling like she normally does when she hears paper rattling and thinks she's getting fed. She's taking her to the vet now but what might be some of the causes?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm a biologist with a special interest in pet health. I'm sorry to hear of Daisy's illness. To get a certain diagnosis, you'll have to wait for the vet's exam, but you asked for some possibilities, and I can give you those.

Appetite loss often indicates a digestive upset, and the twitching can also be a sign of that. guinea pigs commonly get gas in their stomachs that they can't pass. If not treated promptly, that results in a condition called bloat. Sometimes there is a dental problem in the back molars that prevents the guinea pig from chewing properly. That is a common cause of weight loss and digestive problems.

at age 3 1/2, Daisy is middle-aged. Guinea pigs in that life stage can develop tumors and polyps that could cause the symptoms you're seeing. The digestive system or the reproductive system could be affected. An infection in either system is another possibility.

To reach a diagnosis, the vet may need to do blood work and take x-rays.

Some of these conditions are easy to treat, while others are very serious. I hope Daisy will have one of those that responds well to treatment. If you ahve more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks -- I was interested in likely scenarios so we could decide how to help her. The vet actually said she had pneumonia and she is now on IV antibiotics and oxygen. A tumor was what I was thinking and that she would likely not recover from.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I was concerned about a tumor, too, at her age. Pneumonia is a very serious infection, but it is treatable. It sound s like your vet knows what he/she is doing.

When Daisy comes home, she can be further supported by giving her some extra vitamin C. I like to sue the liquid formulas made for human babies because they are easy to give. She would need 25 mgs. twice per day.

I wish Daisy a complete and speedy recovery.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.