Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Hello Anna, This is Tina. Since our last conversation,

Hello Anna,

This is Tina. Since our last conversation, Tony, my Betta had a PH of 6.6. Unfortunately, is has dropped to 6.0. Tony appears fine as it the Mystery Snail living with him. I just tested the water, and as the last time, all water chemistries are within normal parameters with the exception of the PH. I've done water changes - should I be doing something else or just leave well enough alone.
Hi Tina,

You don't need to do anything else. Bettas can do well in a wide pH range. 6.0 is at the low end of that range, but it is all right. If it goes below 6.0, you may need to do something about it. Instead of adding chemicals to it, you can do a water change, using bottled distilled water for part of what you change. Distilled water has a pH of 7.0 and will raise the pH a bit. You never want to raise or lower it very much at one time. Don't use distilled water as the only water in the tank - it lacks the minerals fish need to be healthy. If the pH remains stable at 6.0, you don't need to do anything.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Anna. I guess I'm just a nervous fish keeper who still considers herself a novice. I use the API Master Test Kit which measures the PH from 6.0 - 7.6. Are there other products that measure lower PH?

The one you have is the standard one. However, there are test kits for measuring water pH that aren't specifically for fish tanks. There's no reason you can't use these, since the chemicals never have contact with the fish. This one measures pH from 3.5 to 10.5:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.