Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Hello again, Anna I have 27 assorted fish in fresh water fed

Hello again, Anna
I have 27 assorted fish in fresh water fed pond- 40% water change daily. One fish has a large green lump on head with a short white line underneath. 6 mths ago I removed and treated a 10yr old GF with similar symptons (Frida) and treated her chemically/salt and she is in isolated tank(she is 90% black after illness but ok). Is this latent reaction? Temperature was 10C/50F. Its now 15C/59F. I only have one hospital tank? Solution, please.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Bill. Usually when anything green appears on a pond fish, it is SAP. Chances are that Gertie needs the same treatment Frida received. Since it has been 6 months since Frida was treated, and she seems well except for the color change, it's probably fine to put her back in the pond. SAP is not contagious form one fish to another, but is simply something that is in the water. I would turn the hospital tank over to Gertie. If you have room for both in that tank, of course, you can Leave Frida there, too.

I am concerned that there may be something going on underneath the SAP on Gertie. SAP often infects fish under stress, and it doesn't usually form a lump. Gertie may have a tumor or abscess underneath the SAP. If you can send a photo again this time, I'd be happy to take a look, but we may not be able to see anything until the SAP is cleared up. Regardless, I would start the salt treatment with Gertie. It can't hurt anything, no matter what the lump is.

As always, let me know if you have more questions.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Anna
I have had a closer look. The white line on her head has extended along part of her back. Its not a straight line. She is eating well. If, I can catch her I will put her in with Frida and treat accordingly. Thanks

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
That white line is puzzling. There is no common fish ailment or parasite that causes a long white line like that. Let's see if we can clear up the green spot first and get a better look at what's going on underneath.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.