Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My daughters guinea pig is a 4yr old male we took him into

My daughter's guinea pig is a 4yr old male we took him into vet Monday after my daughter notice he had lost weight and his eye was starting to water. The vet did an urinalysis and determined he had severe bladder infection.she gave him antibiotics, subQ fluids with vit C. He was eating some (we gave him fruits and veg and hay ) and drinking. Plus gave him a little critical care because he didn't seem to eat much of his pellets. But starting yesterday night his breathing started sounding more labored and he is not drinking. His stool is small and is clumping at entrance to his anus. I'm grinding and giving vit C twice daily. Tonight I gave him some pedialyte. He is continuing his antibiotics and pain/anti-inflammatory meds twice daily. I don't know if this latest development is sign he is getting worse or if we just need to be patient.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech for 30+ Years. Anna is not on right now, but shoul be checking in later. Would you like to wait for her, or do you need some help now? Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm fine with your assistance

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Anna and I often work together. Can you tell me what antibiotics they have Oscar on?

Are the pellets actually passing or is he impacted?

Did the Vet check for stones and did they see any crystals?

What type of hay are you feeding?

What type of pain/ anti inflammatory medication is Oscar getting?

Are you giving any probiotics?

Is he getting any fresh veggies?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Antibiotic: sulfa-trimeth

I think he has passed most of the pellets but some have been impacted. They are very small. It could be they just fell out.

She did not do an xray but felt his bladder and did the urinalysis .

Timothy hay (kaydee brand)

Painkiller": metacam1.5mg/ml

Probiotics-i not sure what that would be for a g.p.

Fresh vegeatbles:parsley and carrots

Fresh fruit: apples ad grapes

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for the information. Usually when a Guinea Pig is suspected of a UTI, an X ray is taken to rule out Bladder stones which are very common. To reassure you it usually takes at least two weeks of antibiotics for a UTI in a Guinea Pig for the bladder and urinary tract to completely heal. You can read more about UTI's here: http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

To help Oscar, we can do a few things.

1) I would switch to Oxbow hay for Herbivores. It is a better quality hay: http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1525 .

2) Increase fluid intake. You can dilute the Pedialyte with water and give a few CC's once an hour. Fluids will help flush the urinary tract and also help stool to pass.

3) Continue with the Critical Care. it is a great supplemental feeding.

4) You can give a few drops of plain Cranberry Juice daily to help balance the PH in the urine.

5) Since Oscar is on an Antibiotic long term with the UTI, I suggest a Pro biotic called Bene Bac. This can be purchased in the Pet supply and will help rebuild the gut flora to help the stomach to work well with digestion. The Antibiotics can kill off good gut flora, so this is very important: http://www.petco.com/N_85_30_4294960715/Guinea-Pigs-Bene-Bac.aspx

If Oscar does not start responding by next week I would have him in for a recheck and ask for an X X ray to be sure there are not some stones that may not have been felt when palpating the bladder. At this point keep up what you are doing with the medications and try some of the suggestions I offered above. Hopefully with a couple of rounds of antibiotics he should start feeling better. Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is to give you 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the breathing or the watering of the eyes all tied to oscar not feeling well?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The breathing could be from a fever, the medication or it could be he aspirated a little fluids when being fed. You need to give any fluids slowly. The eyes could be from him not feeling well or even his teeth. I would have him see for a follow up on Monday. Please make sure you are not using any wood bedding like Pine or Cedar. Both of those beddings can cause respiratory issues. They give off Phenols which can be toxic. If the Vet you has seen was not an Exotic Specialist, please let me know and I can get you a list of Vets that specialize in Small Exotics. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have him in separate cage from the other guinea pig. The main cage has care free bedding. The cage Oscar is in has one of those pet liners so we could monitor urine more closely. Our vet is an exotic animal specialist- DR. ARMOUR with Capitol Illlini Veternary clinic.
Thank you for all of the advice!!! We are hoping he gets better.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

UTI's in Guinea Pigs take a while to clear and as I said several rounds of antibiotics to get it solved. I do highly suggest the Pro biotics and the drops of Cranberry juice as well as pushing fluids to help flush the system. It may take some time, but it sounds like your Vet has done a great job with Oscar. I will check back in to see how her is doing in a few days. My goal was to give you Excellent Service and I hope I have met that goal tonight. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Priscilla,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oscar. How is everything going?

Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oscar passed away early Sunday morning.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I am so sorry for the loss! My sincerest condolences.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.i think he was just too sick to recover.