Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Provides solutions for pet behavior problems.
65104486

I have a bunny.

Customer Question

I have a bunny. not sure how old. cant find a vet that's open till Monday. he haS a discharge or it looks wet around his nose. not sure what to do

Category: Pet
Expert:  Veterinarian101 replied 1 year ago.

Veterinarian101 :

Veterinarian101 :

Has Charlie been sneezing at all?

Veterinarian101 :

Is he still eating ok?

Customer : No he hasn't eaten not that I've seen. And yes he is snwezing
Veterinarian101 :

Are his eyes weepy at all?

Veterinarian101 :

How long has he been unwell?

Customer : Not really weepy. Yesterday
Veterinarian101 :

Ok.

Veterinarian101 :

There are a couple of conditions that can cause this runny nose.

Veterinarian101 :

1. A respiratory tract infection - this commonly makes them unwell and they do not eat. The infection is often caused by a nasty bacteria called Pastuerella which is difficult to treat/cure.

Veterinarian101 :

2. a tooth problem causing and abscess in the tooth and this infects the sinuses.

Veterinarian101 :

3. A blocked and infected tear duct - although this can be related to no. 2.

Customer : Ok. Antibiotic is usually the treatment for ant of these
Veterinarian101 :

Yes or removal of the affected tooth. The big concern is that he is not eating. When this happens they get a condition called gut stasis.

Veterinarian101 :

This is where the gut stops moving and can cause problems.

Veterinarian101 :

You need to get him eating.

Customer : Oh. No vets are open till Monday what should 8
Veterinarian101 :

Try some pumpkin baby food mash.

Customer : No vets are open till Monday what should I Di
Veterinarian101 :

How many hours until they are open? I am in a different time zone.

Customer : Ok. If I can't find baby good can I use canned pumpkin
Veterinarian101 :

You can try but you obviously need to mash it up and try and syringe it in.

Veterinarian101 :

If there is a pet shop nearby you can try to get some Oxbow Critical Care and feed that to him.

Customer : Ok. Will a medicine one woek
Veterinarian101 :

Sorry I don't understand your last comment.

Customer : A
Customer : y
Customer : Ay
Customer : r
Customer : Ayr
Customer : i
Customer : Ayri
Customer : n
Customer : Ayrin
Customer : g
Customer : Syring
Customer : e
Customer : d
Customer : child
Customer : m
Customer : e
Customer : me
Customer : d
Customer : med
Customer : i
Customer : medi
Customer : c
Customer : medic
Customer : a
Customer : medica
Customer : r
Customer : medicar
Customer : medicari
Customer : o
Customer : i
Veterinarian101 :

We seem to be having trouble with the chat. Yes a child syringe will work well. You may need to cut the tip off so the pumpkin fits through easier.

Customer : Will a syringe for childs meds work
Veterinarian101 :

Yes a child syringe will work well. You may need to cut the tip off so the pumpkin fits through easier.

Customer : Ok. Yea. Chat messing up.
Customer : S
Customer : a
Customer : Sa
Customer : m
Customer : Sam
Customer : e
Customer : Same
Customer : w
Customer : i
Customer : wi
Customer : t
Customer : wit
Customer : h
Customer : with
Customer : w
Customer : a
Customer : t
Customer : e
Customer : r
Veterinarian101 :

Yes you could add a little warm water to help.

Customer : Sa
Customer : ok
Customer : thank y6ou
Veterinarian101 :

My pleasure. Do you have any further questions?

Customer : Not at the moment
Customer : at
Veterinarian101 :

Ok. Please feel free to come back to me at anytime to ask further questions.

Customer : Ok. Oh one more thing. Shoyld i be worried about its cage mate
Customer : lo
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Yes it could be contagious if it is Pasteurella so maybe good to separate until you see your vet.