Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

my guinea pig is a 2 year old male. he eats fine, defecates

my guinea pig is a 2 year old male. he eats fine, defecates and urinates normally, and drinks his water fine! he even likes to run around. he does not appear to be in pain, but i do hear stomach gurgling often, and it is very loud! his stomach also appears to be slightly distended/bloated. if i didnt know any of those, i would think he is a happy healthy guinea pig! but i am concerned about the bloat. i have read so much on guinea pig bloat and how dangerous it can be so i want to make sure i get down to the bottom of it as soon as i can! the fact that he appears perfectly fine confuses me though. what should i do or what could this be?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in Small Animals and Exotics. I would like to ask a few questions.

Can you tell me what type of pellets you are feeding?

Do you free feed grass hays?

Do you feed any fresh veggies?

Is he passing a normal amount of pellets(stool)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i just feed him the regular sunburst mixed type of pellets i buy from my local petco. i just feed him timothy hay. and the veggies he usually likes is romane lettuce, carrots, and strawberries. and yes i see pellets and urine in his cage every day! nothing unusual and they are not soft or anything. normal hard stools.

I would increase the hay which is very important for a Guinea pig, and as far as the Pellets make sure to use a good quality like Mazuri or Oxbow Cavy Cuisine which are better quality pellets. Guinea pigs need Vitamin C because they cannot manufacture it in their body, so it is an important supplement. The bloating may be from the fresh veggies you are feeding.This is a link for Fresh Veggies and good diets to help:

Now to help Rusty, we can try some gentle massage to help break up the gas in the intestinal tract. You can also give Pediatric Mylicon Drops 1ml which is about a 1/4 of a teaspoon, which will help with gas that can cause bloat. This can be given every 4 hours if needed. I would have Rusty checked out by a Guinea Pig Vet to see if there is an underlying cause. This is a link for Guinea Pig Vets: ----- -------- Please let me know if you have further questions and I can continue with you. My goal is to be sure you get 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Hi Kaitlyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rusty. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got rusty some mylicon drops and have been giving him 1mL, even though he hates it! Haha but he seems okay i havent really had a chance to really check how his bloating has been. How long really until effects are shown? i know what was weird to me about this whole situation was that he seemed fine in general! Just the loud stomach noises and his slightly bloated stomach alarmed me. im hoping it is just gas that is trapped. I also increased his hay and bought him a better brand of guinea pig pellets. If nothing seems to work then i was going to check up with a guinea pig vet just to be safe

You are doing everything right and the Mylicon cannot hurt. Do not forget the probiotics to help the gut flora. Keep up the great work. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the probiotics like the veggies and vitamin c?because i also have been giving him a little bit of carrots, tomato, and some romane lettuce as a reward for taking the mylicon. Is that okay?

The Pro biotic would be Bene Bac. You can get it at most Pet shops. It helps the gut flora, which allows the stomach to work well. This is what I am suggesting: It is a Very good supplement that can be given on a regular basis, to help with the bloating and gas. It is not like simethicone, but adds beneficial bacteria cultures back into the gut. It is like humans taking Acidophilus. The Bene Bac is very healthy and carried at the larger Pet supplies. You can give the fresh veggies, but always in moderation Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay yes i have hear of that before! I will pick some up tomorrow. so how long should i give the mylicon for if i also give the bene bac. And do i use the bene bac from here on out?

If there is guggling you can still use te Mylicon as needed. The Bene Bac can be used with the Mylicon. I would use the Bene bac as directed on the package for Guinea Pigs. it cannot hurt and may help with the bloating and gurgling. We use Pro biotics with all animals and many humans. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay i will give that a try! Thank you! Kaitlyn.

You are very welcome!