Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a 5 yr old guinea pig that has a bumblefoot, and according

I have a 5 yr old guinea pig that has a bumblefoot, and according to my brother in law, mites. He is not balding or itching, he just said he saw the black dot accumulation in key areas. My question is twofold: 1. Can my dogs catch these mites(we do not let pig out of cage) and 2. I have put some bactrim tablets in his water bottle. Other than ivermectin shots, how can we get rid of mites? (My brother in law already used some olive oil. ?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry for the long wait.

To get rid of the mites, you really want to use something like Ivermectin. You can use a topical anti-parasitic like Frontline or Revolution. Frontline comes in a spray that can sometimes work. If that does not work, then you'll have to go to a vet for Ivermectin therapy.

To help with the bumblefoot, you can use a topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. If that does not help, then I would go to a vet for oral antibiotics (usually Baytril). I don't typically put antibiotics in the water as we can't measure the dose actually given very accurately. I would not do this and just give plain water and topical antibiotics.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I was wondering about using revolution. Will my dogs contract these mites if the pig is caged? They are also regularly treated with advantix.
No, these are not going to be transmit to the dogs.