Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 5 yr old guinea pig that has a bumblefoot, and according

I have a 5 yr old guinea pig that has a bumblefoot, and according to my brother in law, mites. He is not balding or itching, he just said he saw the black dot accumulation in key areas. My question is twofold: 1. Can my dogs catch these mites(we do not let pig out of cage) and 2. I have put some bactrim tablets in his water bottle. Other than ivermectin shots, how can we get rid of mites? (My brother in law already used some olive oil. ?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry for the long wait.

To get rid of the mites, you really want to use something like Ivermectin. You can use a topical anti-parasitic like Frontline or Revolution. Frontline comes in a spray that can sometimes work. If that does not work, then you'll have to go to a vet for Ivermectin therapy.

To help with the bumblefoot, you can use a topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. If that does not help, then I would go to a vet for oral antibiotics (usually Baytril). I don't typically put antibiotics in the water as we can't measure the dose actually given very accurately. I would not do this and just give plain water and topical antibiotics.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I was wondering about using revolution. Will my dogs contract these mites if the pig is caged? They are also regularly treated with advantix.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
No, these are not going to be transmit to the dogs.