Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Goldfish has a white bulge between in front of Anal Fin

Goldfish has a white bulge between in front of anal fin.

i have a 8 x 10 foot three feet deep pond, one of the gold fish got sucked into the filter and got stuck about a month ago, we noticed a week or two after he grew a bulge under his tail by his butt. he just lies in the pond upsidedown with his big white bulge butt sticking up he looks dead but then he stats trying to flip right side up. Did he get injured in the filter and now its swelling or is it something else?

the person at petsmart said it may have a damaged vertebrae.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with many years experience fish keeping. I'm sorry to hear of this accident.

From what you have described, I think the fish suffered injury to internal organs, rather than spinal/back injury. The swim bladder is the organ that allows the fish to orient itself in the water. It can be ruptured, and then the fish can't swim properly. It may float, sink, stay upside down, or swim sideways. Sometimes an intestinal injury can put pressure on the swim bladder and that also interferes with swimming.Unless you have an aquatic vet take an x-ray, there is no way we can be certain of what happened. But we can still try to help.

As you suspect, it would be a good idea to put the fish in an isolation tank or other container. Use water from the pond to fill it and place some kind of aerator in it. Pond/aquarium salt can help a fish heal if the injuries are not too serious. Add one teaspoon per gallon of water. Then all you can do is wait to see if the fish can recover.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your fish's injuries are not too severe to heal.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!