Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Im really worried about my ferret. I live in Washington and

I'm really worried about my ferret. I live in Washington and it's been super hot the last few weeks so i've kept a fan right next to her cage to help keep her cool. but i've noticed that she hasn't been herself. She lacks the usual energy she usually has, she had been eating less and less. Her poops are hard and black. So i was thinking she was dehydrated and so ever hour i've been changing her water out with fresh cold water but nothing has changed. and today i took her out and placed her on the ground and her body was limp, she didn't move much, she seems extremely lethargic and had ZERO energy. I've noticed too the past month she has been coughing a few times at night. I havent found a good vet for her in my area and i'm getting to be very worried. Ideas?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This does not sound good at all. If she is limp, then you need to get her in to a vet so they can get some bloodwork and see what's going on with her.

This may be a low blood glucose, it may be an adrenal tumor or it may be something like a foreign body obstruction in the intestine. These are all very common in ferrets and they can lead to decreased appetite, lethargy and reluctance to move around.

I would take the fan off her for now in case she's chilled.

If you have an ER vet in the area, I would use them. Most ER vets are well trained in ferret medicine and surgery to be able to help her out. They also have the ability to run bloodwork in the hospital and get results very quickly.

Hopefully this is just dehydration and some GI upset that can be treated quickly. If one of the other diseases I mentioned, this could require surgery or lifelong therapy to manage.

Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Haley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bambi. How is everything going?