Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I own a robo hamster. Although he seems very active at night,

I own a robo hamster. Although he seems very active at night, I've noticed some redness toward his bottom close to his hind legs. After closer examination, it seems he has two pretty big size lumps toward his hind legs. The outside look red. Any ideas what this could be?

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in pet health. I'm sorry to hear your hamster is having a problem. Some additional information will be useful.

Is the hamster a male with certainty? If yes, where are the lumps related in regard to his testicles?

Do the lumps seem to bother him?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure the hamster is male. But yes the lumps are on the bottom between the legs. They seem irritated red. Are there signs that the hamster is in discomfort? If he is ... I'll put him down. He is over 2 years old.

Thank you for getting back to me. The hamster is more than likely a male. What you have described would be typical of infected testicles or cancer in them. Yes, your hamster is quite elderly. Signs of discomfort would include biting or scratching at the swollen area, appetite loss, trouble moving around, lethargy, or shakiness. If those symptoms occur, it would be best to put the hamster down.If you end up needing to do that, the following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password XXXXX well.

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I'm sorry not to have better news.

Anna

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would you have any idea how long the hamsters with cancer usually live? Do they suffer? Or putting them down is less suffering than living with cancer? Our hamster is still moving and eating.
Very few people even know when a hamster has cancer, so I can't really give you an idea on what to expect as far as lifespan. The swelling could also be due to infection or a benign tumor. However, no matter what it is, you'll know if he is suffering. As long as he is still moving and eating, and is active at night as you described in the beginning, he is not suffering. When a hamster is in pain, usually the appetite is the first thing to go. When he quits eating, it is time to humanely end his suffering. But from what you've described so far, he's not at that point yet.

Anna
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna