Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

my 7 week old raccoon has just started peeing blood what could

my 7 week old raccoon has just started peeing blood what could this be and what can i do? our vets refuse to care for raccoons..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in pet health. I'd like to help you tonight. I'm sorry to hear that Lila is having a problem.

I can give you some possible causes of blood in the urine, but without a vet's help, you won't be bale to obtain a certain diagnosis or proper treatment. A urinary tract infection is one possibility, and that would probably eb treated with prescription antibiotics. Bladder stones or crystals can also lead to bloody urine. Crystal-dissolving medication (again by prescription) or surgery would be needed.Even more worrisome is. This disease is not uncommon in wild animals, and it can affect various organs. when it goes to the kidneys, blood in the urine occurs. can be transmitted to dogs and humans.

Baby raccoons are adorable, so I understand why you took Lila in, but I have another concern for you, any other pets you have, and your family. The raccoon roundworm is extremely common in raccoons of all ages. In raccoons, it may not cause nay symptoms at all, but in other mammals, including humans, the larvae migrate through the body and often end up in the brain. This causes a critical illness that is often fatal.
The CDC views this a serious human health threat. You can read more here:

For her own sake and yours, if you plan to keep Lila as a pet, it's essential to find a vet who will treat her present illness, and also test her and treat her for roundworms if they are present. You may ahve to drive some distance to find an exotic animal vet (perhaps even to a different state). This link will take you to a directory of exotic animal vets:

Another option si to turn Lila over to a wildlife rehabilitator. They often have vets who work with them to help wild animals. They return the animals to health, then release them. these links will help you find rehabbers:

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you!