Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

My 2.1/2 yr old Welsh springer bitch was in season in February,

My 2.1/2 yr old Welsh springer bitch was in season in February, so is
not due to be again til August.Dogs that used to just play with her are now trying to mount her. I check every time I take her out that she has not come into season early, but there is no evidence. What could be the reason?
Hi JaCustomer,.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

Dogs mount other dogs when they are trying to dominate them as well as for mating. So the mounting by other dogs may be related to dominance and not due to them thinking she is in heat.

Another possibility is that she has the odor of blood coming from the appropriate are. Possible causes would include a urinary tract infection or even a uterine infection or vaginitis. Some males will even react to bleeding in the rectal area. Rectal bleeding can be the result of inflammation in the bowels from parasites like worms or even an anal gland infection.

.

As I mentioned, it is often caused by the female having a uterine infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms.. You can read about UTI's here:

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2003&PID=6538&O=Generic

With vaginitis, there is usually excessive licking of the vulva and some redness in the area along with discharge but the discharge may not be seen if the dog is keeping the area clean by licking. You can read about this here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1629&articleid=929

.

If you do not believe this is strictly dominance mounting behavior, then I strongly suggest you have your girl seen by your vet. Your vet may allow you to bring in a stool and urine sample for testing if you have an ongoing relationship with your vet. In some cases, they will prefer to just do an exam and collect samples at that time. You can call and find out which your vet prefers.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/