Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My ferret lOst a whole bunch of weight in about five days and

Customer Question

My ferret lOst a whole bunch of weight in about five days and can't walk won't eat and can't move very well. .
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I would like to ask some questions to see if I can assist you with Aspen, tonight.

Can you tell me if he has any toys that he could have chewed on and ingested?

Any vomiting?

Any Diarrhea?

Have you tried force feeding any foods?

What type of fluids have you been giving him?

Any hair loss?

Any yellowing of the skin or eyes?

What color are his gums?

Can you get to the store tonight if needed?

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

You went off line and I am very concerned about Aspen, so I want to give you some first aid and information about what you may expect when you see the Vet. The first thing you will want to do is get some Pedialyte which is an infant electrolyte replacer sold where baby supplies are sold. Get a syringe and start to give a few cc's at a time for fluids. This is very important to help balance the electrolytes and also to prevent dehydration. The next thing we have to do is get some food going in. We usually recommend the "Duck Soup Diet" There are many formulas:, but with it being late in the evening we can use a Jar of Chicken Baby food. We will syringe feed this by making a pocket in the side of the mouth and slowly injecting some baby food in the pocket and allow Aspen to swallow it. Getting food in at this point is extremely important, because of the Ferrets metabolism being very fast he need to have some type of meat going in. The last thing I would like you to do for first aid is to take a little Karo(corn syrup) syrup, or Maple Pancake Syrup and rub some on his gums to help balance his glucose levels. These procedures are basic first aid and needed to help him make it through the night especially with the rapid weight loss. Since I do not have the information from you, I can give you a list of causes for weight loss, but the Vet will have to do blood work an X ray, fecal and possibly an Ultrasound to find out the cause. These are all possibilities of what may be going on:
Bowel disease like ECE, foreign body lodged in the intestinal tract, Ulcers, IBD:, A Metabolic Disorder, Kidney or Liver issues, Cancer which is a common problem in ferrets:, a Virus, Difficulty swallowing, a Fever, Insulinoma:, Adrenal Disease:, and Aleutians Disease which is the Ferret form of Parvo Virus: Please let me know if you have further questions about the information I supplied. It is important to start the first aid as soon as you read the instructions I posted here. Please let me know what the Vet finding are for Aspen. Joan